The Importance of a Fitting Gate
When having a fence installed, don’t underestimate the importance of a gate! You want to be able to enter and exit your yard as you please, and believe it or not, there are a variety of factors that determine what type and style gate you should choose, as well as where the gate should be located.
Consider the following questions to help you decide what size and type of gate you will need:
- What will you be using the gate for?
- What will you need to fit through the gate?
- Will you need to get a vehicle, such as a riding mower, into the yard?
- Do you plan to build anything, such as a shed, in the enclosed area in the future?
- Will the gate be used exclusively for people walking in and out of the enclosed area?
- Will children be coming in and out? Or would you like a child-safe gate?
- Do you want to keep your yard highly secure? For instance, do you have a pool or pond that could have safety concerns?
Answering these questions will be extremely useful in figuring out the size and type of gate that is best for you.
Think about it; if you have a small gate opening, and later find out you need to carry furniture or other large items through, you will need to make costly adjustments to the gate to accommodate.
Standard gate sizes are as follows:
- 3 feet: Generally the smallest opening possible, for gates that only people will pass through.
- 4 feet: Standard opening that is good for people and most push mowers.
- 5 feet and 6 feet: Opening that fits most riding mowers.
- 10 feet: Opening that will fit most vehicles including cars, pickup trucks, SUVs, etc.
- 12 feet and larger: Opening that will fit large vehicles, farming equipment, trailers, etc.
Talk these over with your fence contractor and you are sure to have a gate that fits your needs!
What about Aesthetics?
Depending on where they are on your property, gates can break up the seamless patter of your fence aesthetic. Also, will you have hardware showing or hidden? Will the gate have electronic openings? Locks? These questions are all worthy when considering your perfect gate.